Friday, April 8, 2011

Excuses, Excuses.

Over the past few weeks I have served on jury duty, been swamped with drama ministry activities, helped my friend frame, enclose and roof my deck, prepare and submit our income taxes, and a few other things. Some were callings; some were just the stuff we all face in everyday life. All have taught me a valuable lesson. I have used my callings and duties to ignore the one calling that promises to pay the bills and bless me with a great sense of satisfaction, my freelance writing. Not only have I allowed other activities to keep me from my greatest love, I have disappointed my mentors and editors in the process; an act for which I am truly remorseful.

We all allow ourselves to be distracted from time to time. Often, our distractions are actually good deeds. However, these distractions aren’t an excuse to ignore the important. Writing is my calling. I may someday be a great writer or I may not, but I know I’m supposed to write. And, there are people and organizations that depend, in part, on my writing. When I don’t write, and do those things that get it sold, I cause those who depend on me to suffer. Not doing what I’m called to do has a profound effect on many others. Most importantly, when I excuse myself from doing what I must, what I love, I do not contribute to family finances and that hurts the one I love the most, my wife.

Now human nature dictates that I beat myself up and spend more time not writing while I wallow in self-pity. We all have those moments when we allow our lack of action to lead to more inaction. Often this results in our giving up. But, I will not do that this time. I’ll rely on the Lord to give me the strength to press on, to run the good race. I’ll do what He has called me to do. I will not let Him or myself down. I’ll swallow my pride, make the proper apologies and get back to fulfilling my calling.

If you find yourself facing a similar situation, don’t give up and don’t give in. Whatever you allowed to distract you, forgive yourself and move on with greater resolve. Remember that there is nothing you can do that God won’t forgive, so afford yourself that same forgiveness. If you’ve hurt loved ones in the process, ask their forgiveness and renew your commitment to those relationships. They may need time to forgive you so give it to them. While you’re waiting, get back to doing what you were called to do. Get back to serving God in the way He created you to.

No comments:

Post a Comment