Sunday, January 30, 2011

Is He Calling You?

When I was first approached about joining Reality Writing, I immediately received a prod from the Holy Spirit. I knew God wanted me to become a part of this exciting venture. I was called! I knew I was called because I have been called before and I’m still doing most of what He called me to do today. In fact, the only things I’m not still doing are those things that were “temporary assignments.”

But how did I know I was called? I knew because I was given a peace about the callings, even though I wasn’t comfortable with any of them. You see, I'm uncomfortable teaching His Word to children and adults, or speaking to a large congregation, or sharing the Gospel with strangers. Yet I do all these things because of His call. And my often fragile ego fears being criticized for my writing. However, I have learned that when He calls, it is best to respond in the affirmative because to do otherwise assures I will be uneasy until I do say yes. In fact, I can’t think of anything more uncomfortable than ignoring God’s call.

Is God calling you? Do you know His voice when you hear it? Are you even listening? My personal experience tells me that He is calling us all the time. But He does so with a quiet voice. So, if you are not hearing Him, it may be there’s too much noise in your life. Learning to hear Him starts by removing yourself from external distractions and quieting your constant inner dialogue. Then study His Word while expecting Him to speak to you. In time, you’ll learn to discern His voice in all situations. Then you too can hear and follow your callings.

So I invite you to join me in my most recent calling, my “Reality Writing” journey of self discovery and public service. And if you too are hearing the call to write or serve, remember there is no reason why you cannot say yes to God. For I am a grandfather of five with very little income, formal training that consist of only one creative writing class over 30 years ago, and limited writing experience that has been almost exclusively business letters and marketing pieces. Despite my lack of experience and training, I thank God for His call and choose to rely on Him to give me the words that will launch and sustain my writing career. This is truly a journey of faith.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

No comments:

Post a Comment